Saturday, March 26

Kefi Greek Cuisine @ Glenelg North

January was a month of crazy potlucks, eating out and emotional goodbyes. After being joined at the hip for the past couple of years, my dear friends have to return to Singapore for their placements and some may never come back. Sob. I am going to miss already miss them the very next day after we bade our see-you-soons. One of the places we went to was Kefi Greek Cuisine. This place was amazingly difficult to book. I have been trying since May last year to book for a friend's birthday with no avail. They are either not answering the phone or if they do pick up, they are going to be packed three weeks ahead. I finally managed to secure us a table in early December for a January booking (mental!). 

The place was already packed at 6.30pm when we arrived. The shoe box-sized eatery managed to cram forty-five patrons in one sitting and the noise level was astronomical. Everyone was shouting at each other to be heard across the table. The waitresses were less than friendly and we were asked to shift our chairs a few times to make room for them to pass by. Golly. 

Clockwise from top Left: Marinated octopus, beef meatballs, seafood combo platter, mixed grill platter (sorry, I didn't note the Greek names)
We waited a good half an hour for the appetizers as the counter was serving the long line of take away customers. When the food arrived, we were blown away by the meatballs. They were packed with bag-fulls of flavour and most importantly - moist. The sauce had the right amount of tart and zing to cut through the heaviness of the meat. Definitely the dish of the night. 

The marinated octopus, however, failed to deliver. The dish was soaked in vinegar and entirely killing my epithelial cells with its sourness. The chargrilled octopus from the other side of the table was good though. Cooked to perfection with the right amount of barbequed smokiness. 

Next came the mains. Two heaped platters groaning with grilled or fried protein goodness. The seafood platter was average, with over seasoned prawns and perfectly cooked calamari. Go figure. The mixed grill platter was awesome, minus the quail. I don't think I like quail all that much. It's tiny, skinny and, from the ones I've had, usually overcooked and singed like no tomorrow. Terrible. Apart from our feathered friend, the rest of the platter was absolutely to die for. If memory serves there was a huge slab of pork, lamb, steak and two crazy enormous kebabs. The meat were tender and thoroughly seasoned. I wish we could've had more youghurt to go with the dish.

Kataifi
We were too stuffed for dessert so some of us packed some desserts home. I only had a taste of this Kataifi and had to stop. It was too sweet for my system (but definitely not as sweet as baklava...oh I detest baklava!)   but incredibly flavourful. I guess I'm a cream kind of girl.

Well I wouldn't rush back to Kefi anytime soon but it's definitely worth a try if you haven't been there before. I might just as well join the take away line next time to get my hands on half a dozen of those meatballs though!

Kefi Greek Cuisine
61 Tapleys Hill Road in Glenelg
08 8350 9199

No comments:

Post a Comment