Friday, April 23

Chinese mushroom and ginger chicken

My grandmother has cooked this for me since I was a tot and it's one of my favourite family recipes of all time. The great thing is it not only tastes great but it's so simple to make!

My ultimate comfort food. :)

Chinese mushroom and ginger chicken


Serves 2 meals


Ingredients:
2 chicken drumsticks (or thighs), deskinned
4 large dried Chinese mushrooms (any type will do)
1 tablespoon young ginger, sliced into thin strips
2 teaspoons sesame oil
2 teaspoons light soy sauce
Pepper to taste

Preparation:
Soak mushrooms until soft (I use hot water so they soften very quickly), squeeze out excess water and slice into thin strips. Place chicken into a metal bowl (or any bowl that is suitable for steaming). Arrange mushroom and ginger strips on top of the chicken and drizzle with sesame oil and soy sauce. Add a dash of pepper for a nice bite. Steam* for 20-30 minutes or until chicken is cooked and tender.

*I place a small steaming rack in a large pot, add hot water and bring the water to boil. Then, when water is boiling, place the bowl atop the rack and cover the pot. Be sure to keep an eye on the water level as they evaporate pretty quickly. When the water level goes too low, just add some more hot water to the pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment