Tuesday, February 2

Prologue

Life's defining moments - birth, old-age, illness, death - comes in stages. Usually. Mine got muddled and illness came first before old-age.
I was 20 and a half on 2nd January 2010 when I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. It was a shocker, my world crumbled and crashed around me. All I felt was this deep black void. I was numb, heartbroken and anguished. Why, I wondered, me? 

Peculiarly, I have nil family history of T1 Diabetes. It felt like winning a discordant lottery. It was my luck, my fate, my life to lead. I stared at the ceiling into the wee hours of the night and remembered something my friend said not too long ago: God shall not provide us challenges that we cannot conquer. I am not Christian but I believe that we are made to have the ability to overcome all challenges life throws at us.

I woke up the next morning, drying off my tears of yesterday and rebuilt my crumbled walls. I have determination, youth and supportive, loving people around me. I shall not be alone in this lifelong challenge. 
Diabetes strikes a personal chord, not only because I've got it, but because I have always loved and enjoyed food. I am also a half-baked dietitian. The greatest restriction for us diabetics is our diet and I am determined to enjoy my greatest passion. 

This shall be the the first of my many forages into the world of food, health and nutrition blogging. Hello!

No comments:

Post a Comment